View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Josh8loop
Definately a Modder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
Since you cite expenses you "can't afford" (trust me, I know how that is!!!), I'm not too sure that experimenting with an unknown like dimpled surfaces would give you very high odds for return on investment. Seems that most of what I read about the dimpled surface experiments come up with no gains, or gains too small to be statistically significant.

If cost (money savings) is your primary concern, maybe perfecting hypermiling driving style, and other things such as air dams, maxxed-out tire pressure, etc, etc. (unless you're already doing all of that, of course)

Now, if you're just dying to experiment with this dimpled surface idea for the sake of the experiment to see if you get results (believe me, I'm familiar with these types of obsessions, too), then I say "go for it" and let us know what happens.

The maintenance item I need to do is to have the injector nozzles replaced and set up properly. That's about 450 smackers and a weeks worth down time on the car! As far as tire pressure and hypermiling techniques I am already a student and in training Have been using those techniques for a couple years now and still learn every day! The front air dam I may look into shortly along with flat covers for my wheels. Did you get a chance to see the Mythbusters dirty car vs clean car MPG(which also includes dimples in the experimentation)? They received quite a large difference in fact so much so that Jamie and Adam were speechless!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=306799&page=4