View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
320touring
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
It's time to plan the weight-saving and eventually aero mods

I'd consider to get some custom-made fiberglass body panels such as rear hatch (possibly already incorporating a built-in spoiler), engine hood and front fenders (taking that retractible antenna away, so if you'd still want a radio you could get an internal windscreen-mounted one like I'm considering to do with my dad's Subaru), smaller and more streamlined rearview mirrors out of some sports motorcycle, single-blade windscreen wiper (preferably standing up while not in use, for both weight-saving and aerodynamic reasons) and stripping the interior trim as much as you feel comfortable with
I'll not be changing the body panels- too difficult to get insurance on such things.

initial thoughts are these- Aero being most important given the 80% motorway work the car sees):

Aero
Upper Grill Block- completed- approx 80% covered

Lower Grill Block- similar in technique to the upper one using pipe insulation

Smaller door Mirrors- or removal/folding of passenger one

Aero Wheel covers- possibly made out of plexiglass

Airdam- An extension to the existing front lip

Panel Gap sealing- round the engine bay, rear hatch and rear side windows

Ride height reduction- see my separate thread re this- a drop of approx 40-50mm is planned

Engine Bay
Front Belly Pan- Definitely, scope to utilise a spare one I have lying about..

Cold Air Intake- Should be simple enough to modify the current intake (which is already fairly reasonable!)

Engine Bay Insulation- looking at additional bonnet insulation options, plus panel gap sealing using insulation strip.

these mods should keep the heat in, and make for ideal veg oil running conditions

Mechanics
Gearbox oil to ATF- on the "to Do" list!

Fuelling advance- set the max fuel on the pump higher for more torque at lower rpm

Reduce idle setting- currently idles near 1000rpm, a drop to 750-800 would be a 25% saving on my coasting sections

Turbo- increase boost pressure to 12psi for a better cleaner burn

Intercooler- to help keep air cool, and density high

These will only be carried out after I've done the timing belt- dont want to risk it!

Others
Weight reduction- I'll probably aim to keep the interior pleasant- the car does mainly motorway work, so mass is not an issue- at least not as much as comfort!

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------