View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #95 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Ben I have worked on the imiev and will help if required. I would suggest that you pull up the passenger seat , remove the carpet cover and pull out the traction battery disconnect before doing much else. The inverter /dcdc and charger are all very well made and quite hermetic so i'd say you have a good chance of making it run. Best of luck!
Best advice yet. Get the main battery out of the circuit and see if it can be charged or has any charge.

You need to strip the car down to the point where you have disconnected every component that got wet.

Take any circuit boards out of the cans, using a small camel hair type brush and alcohol, flush and brush the dircuit boards, then rinse with water and blow dry them immediately. Fan might be OK but compressed air is much better.

I would avoid applying power to any circuit that has not been completely treated first.

Wiring harness connections need to be disconnected. I used tarn-x to dip them and then a spray of electrical contact solvent and compressed air to clean them up. Some of the connections had actually corroded to the point where there was some material missing form the connectors themselves. Even with that state of damage I got every connection working and they kept working for another ten years.

If you want to power up circuits, start by pulling alll of the fuses and work with individual circuits to avoid cross currents that could damage components that were not designed to have that much power through them.

I'm not sure how much yoiu want to put into this car to get it back in shape, but the time involved will be considerable. The alternative would be to use it for parts to fix a collision damaged car, or buy another one that was rolled over and totalled through sheet metal damage, which would have most if not all of the electrical compoenents you might neeed.

Regardless, the absolute first step is to determine the condition of the traction battery and get all power sources out of the circuit before you fire jiuce through anything which could mess upo a lot of stuff. There is no instruction manual for whaere you are going with this car and I also noticed you did not say how much you paid for the car. Regardless of the success or failure of you endeavor you have engouh sheel metal to rebuild up to 4 more of the same model car. Generally speaking fron clips go for $2500, rears about the same, and the two sides (doors and center post) probably go for another $2500 combined.

That's just the sheet metal. If you can save the traction battery that is probably worth as much as the front or rear clips (previously mentioned). The issue with parting the car out is how long it will take to sell all of the parts, which could be years.

I have built 4 totals with one water damaged car. Just thinking out loud. Not trying to be negative but I think you now see why the bidding was as low as it was. Salvage dealers love water damaged cars becasue they make most of their money on the sheet metal, but when there is no demand for that sheet metal they will be leery of a purchase. Sandy water damaged cars are being shipped all over the planet becasue they have a lot of valuable parts. I almost deleted this post.

regards
Mech