View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
canoeist
EcoModding Lurker

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Competition? (vs. Ford Fiesta 1.0L turbo? Others?)

I've been reading here and elsewhere about the new Mitsubishi mirage/space star. It all sounds very good. Ford, however, claims that there new ecoboost 1.0 will be the most fuel efficient non-hybrid on the Canadian market. They also claim it gets much more power/torque.

My questions, then are these:

Is the Fiesta ecoboost actually in the same league as the mirage in terms of fuel efficiency (put another way, can turbocharged 123 hp really use less fuel than naturally aspirated 70hp)?

Are there other similar small-engined, lightweight cars coming to market in the foreseeable future that I am not aware of? Ideally I'd like to replace my car but not for a few years.

For reference - I don't know a whole lot about cars, average about 6.0l/100km in my '03 Ford Focus in the summer (winter tires, snow, more city driving and cold starts play havoc with that number in the winter), and am convinced that every car made/sold has more power than it needs. As an aside, I am from Winnipeg and saw a presentation about the urbee, which I think has 8hp and reaches highway speeds.