View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhatch View Post
That is commitment to the cause.

Do you ever worry about lack of oil on the constant start and stop driving of the motor?

With the Hybrids, they seem to have an auto spooling function that somewhat pre-lubes the motor prior to firing. The same is not the case for the diesel.

How much gain have you noted from the start and stop via the kill switch?
I've switched to a 5W-30 synthetic oil from the conventional 15W-40 oil to help the cause. I also use two 150-watt oil pan heaters (in the mornings) to helps bring the viscousity down as well. Also, it's worth noting that, while my engine does have oil lubricating the turbo, it's a water-cooled turbo (not oil cooled like most older turbodiesels). As per my understanding that's the biggest issue with frequent stop-start in diesels--it's actually not so much the start as it is the hot stop, when you can coke the oil in the turbo. Water-cooled turbos don't have that problem because the coolant will continue to have some circulation through the turbo via thermal siphoning.

That being said, I've been doing engine-off pulse & glide for over a year now, and I'll be doing an oil change here in a month or two. I'd like to send my used oil in for an oil analysis to see if there's been any unusual wear.

As far as the gains from the kill switch, it doesn't actually increase my mileage--it just allows me to account for all the miles I actually travel. My average commute distance used to average 22.7 miles and now I'm at 24.3 miles so I've gained about 7%. The engine-off P&G itself gains more than that--the 7% is just the additional amount the kill switch allows me to account for.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html