View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
john4mary
EcoModding Lurker

Prius Boat Tail For Sale - Increase Your MPG!

Up for sale is a custom made “boat tail” for increasing gas mileage in a 2003 – 2009 Prius. As you can see from the pictures, it was designed to be functional (it ain’t pretty). My personal results will no doubt be different from yours, but driving 50/50 highway/surface road I saw an 18% increase in mileage.

Pros:
-Light weight, perhaps 40 pounds?
-Easily installed and removed, takes me about 6 minutes
-OEM brake lights, turn signals etc are not affected
-Foam pads protect the body of the car
-You will get a lot of attention. Most people are curious and supportive, although I have discovered that teenage daughters can be especially embarrassed by honking and waving at their friends.

Cons:
-Hatch is inoperable when tail is installed (but tail is easily removed if you need to haul something)
-License plate must be relocated if tail is removed (knurled thumb screws make it pretty easy)
-You will get a lot of attention. I have been pulled over by local, county and state police, none of which issued a ticket because they could not find anything illegal.

This is a bulky item that would be painful to ship, but I suppose nothing is impossible. I live in Michigan and will make reasonable accommodations to help you.

Asking $300.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Three Quarter View.jpg
Views:	3108
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	12507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	12508   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear view.jpg