View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
13B_88FC
EcoModding Lurker

ZoomFreakingZoom - '88 Mazda RX7 Convertible
90 day: 19.02 mpg (US)

Geo - '96 Geo Prizm Base
90 day: 32.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
Glass pack mufflers are a great viable option for high performance applications in the racing world. They are free flowing, light weight and just enough to let the person abide by the noise restrictions many race tracks have put on different classes of vehicles.... They are tough, simple and robust. I would love to see a rotary try to melt one.

Accelerating at 2 different rates isn't necessarily going to use the same amount of fuel. Especially if you end up going in to enrichment mode during the acceleration. Turning the engine at lower revs utilizes the engine more efficiently than turning it at higher revs. You don't want to lug the engine though that will retard the timing which lowers power and the ECU will add a lot of fuel to prevent damage which would waste fuel.
I agree glass packs are good muffler solutions, however it is common knowledge that rotary engines melt them very quickly (anywhere from a few hours to a couple months) unless they are very high quality. They're just commonly associated with "ricers" which is why I brought them up.

I didn't say it would use the same amount of fuel, I said about the same amount. Most people over generalize and say that accelerating quickly is bad for fuel economy. Gasoline engines are more efficient at high load - they're making the most POWER per unit fuel burned when they're working hard, however the higher you rev, the more of that power is going towards counteracting the friction of the engine. In my opinion, the most efficient acceleration would be to sandwich the toque peak between shifts since that's where you're making the most power per RPM.

My stock peak torque is 3800rpm, right before my 5th and 6th ports open up. however my engine has a decent sized street port which probably raises the torque to around 4500 or maybe more; it seems to really pick up around 5k.

"enrichment mode"
A well tuned engine should (key word here is should) simply inject a linearly proportional amount of fuel based on the air flowing into the engine. Why would there be an enrichment mode? As far as I know, your air/fuel ratio should remain pretty constant throughout the power curve of the engine.
1988 rx7 convertible. Streetported, racing beat header and presilencer replacing all 3 catalytic converters. Atkins 6 port sleeves. K&N cone filter intake. 22mpg average, 27mpg max. Spreadsheet (updated regularly):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5310442/198...%20mileage.xls