View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBlood View Post
we cut cylinder activation by removing fuel pulse, so if we're removing 2 cylinders out of 6, we gain 33% economy (excluding the pumping loss of compressing the cut cylinders) right off the bat, plus the lower pumping loss of the "more open" throttle body.
I never thought of it this way to tell you the truth. If I had, I'd have thought to myself...why stop at 2 cylinders, lets cut out 2 more and just run on the last 2 and get 3 times the mileage because if we only use 1/3 of the fuel, that means we go 3 times farther than before, so yer right, you'll get about 75-80 MPG by deactivating more cylinders.

Seriously dude...it takes a certain amount of power to go a certain speed, if you reduce the number of cylinders, you now must make more power with the remaining cylinders to keep moving, this means more fuel is dumped into the remaining cylinders than before, so fuel consumption remains about the same.

I'm now guessing that my pumping losses statement must have blown through your head at the speed of sound. I suggest you do research on pumping losses, and truly understand their impact. Be able to discuss it intelligently, then come back and make further comments, till then we're all gonna need sunglasses while viewing this thread.