View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
AlienBlood
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBlood View Post
......... we gain 33% economy (excluding the pumping loss of compressing the cut cylinders) right off the bat
wow, guys... really? Don't be dicks. I'll read more about pumping losses when you learn to... well... read the WHOLE statement.

1) You have identical pumping losses due to compression in EITHER scenario, assuming the valves are operated via camshaft only (i.e. no hydraulic/pneumatic/electric actuators).

2) You have to give more throttle input in EITHER scenario due to less power development, which slightly increases fuel flow to the active cylinders, but reduces pumping loss across the throttle body. (And for the sake of clarity to the people who are just learning reading comprehension, in a lean burn setup, it is still less than running stoichiometric.)

To the Lean Burn guys, I'm leaning that direction (no pun intended) already, but considering both routes because of the damage that a lean-burning engine can potentially (theoretically) do to a catalytic converter if spark is not re-tuned to compensate.