View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #39 (permalink)
Davinator61
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13B_88FC View Post
You're driving a jeep, of course you view every import car as a ricer. No ricer is faster than the mustangs and camaros of the same year, not to mention much better handling. Ok, ok, so probably only the turbo rx7's were faster, but still.

I never said YOUR jeep. You say it works for your car, then I believe you, which I have said previously.

I think we both have the right ideas, we just disagree on specifics. There is no golden rule. Cars are different, there are way too many variables.
Definitely NO Absolute Golden Rule in THAT regard, just a general rule of thumb, with plenty of exceptions, especially with fuel injection systems and MAFS versus MAPS (my Jeep uses a MAP Sensor,which seems to like WAIs, instead of a MAF Sensor, which does not seem to like WAIs). Also, the thing to remember is that a Turbo-charged Rotary, or Wankel engine is quite a bit different from a naturally-aspirated inline-six reciprocating engine design, like what I have on my Jeep. Even though they do basically the same thing, i.e. pushing your vehicle down the road, they operate by somewhat different principles.

I remember one of my Automotive Technology teachers telling me about how fuel inefficient the first Mazda/Wankels were when they were introduced, and how they had a bad tendency to produce more smog than an equivalent displacement piston engine. He also touched on the inferior grade of materials used in their engine block-segment-to-block-segment seals. However, the high RPMs range was where they had their equivalent piston engine cousins beat, in both HP and Torque. It was not uncommon for a two-rotor Wankel to push 200HP near a VERY high Redline RPM and there was even a four-rotor design that would have put out as much as 400 HP, had it been utilized to any serious degree (never heard back about THAT one, though).

Buuut, compairing your Mazda RX7's Turbo Rotary/Wankel to my Jeep Cherokee Laredo's 4.0L Inline-Six is like compairing apples to kumquats, in my personal opinion, as a different set of rules MAY need to be applied to YOUR vehicle's engine in order to improve it's fuel efficiency over what it is currently. Plus if your engine uses a Mass Airflow Sensor, instead of a Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor, as what's on my Jeep's intake manifold, your R/W may NOT likey the WAI that my Jeep 4.0L MAY likey. Understanding this MAY help you find your own solution(s) to your potential Gas-Guzzler issues, besides just driving like you've got a raw egg under your accelerator pedal, which I do to some degree as part of my modified Hyper-Miler regimen anyways. Hope this helps, even if only a little...