View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #161 (permalink)
MN Driver
2000 Honda Insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
Ok here's my idea: You rent it to people, who then park it in their driveway to get eco-cred among their neighbors!
I've never seen this eco-cred thing. People see the car that I drive and if they know what it is(2000 Honda Insight), they ask about the gas mileage. Some confused people ask where the plug is(non-existent for a stock Insight) and that's when I wish my conversion to pure electric was complete.

Ben, if the rest of the car was toast and the battery was fine, you'd have an offer for the pack. ..albeit 16kwh is smaller than I wished and their specs are worse than what I'll be putting in my car, but OEM quality stuff is good to have. Sucks that it got drained to zero by salt water. I'd thoroughly rinse the salt mess off of a set of cells and connect a cell or pack of cells to a 12v battery charger to see if it will climb in voltage and stay or if it drops like a rock with the cells getting hot. Of course don't exceed the max voltages for the cell chemistry but if you can get them in the 3 volt range and they hang out there, you've got a good chance from there, my hopes aren't high but worth trying since there are folks who ran an entire set of LiFePO4 down to 0v and recovered them and continued using them for a long time. Word is that it is dangerous to do this with the Cobalt based chemistries though. Use caution, probably in the backyard fire pit in case problems arise, good luck.

I tried to find the nominal voltage of the pack and kept getting garbage. If it is Lithium Cobalt Oxide it should be 3.6vpc, if it is Lithium Cobalt Oxide Polymer it should be 3.7vpc. I find stuff online that says 88 cells and 330v nominal, which would be 3.75vpc which can't be right unless GS Yuasa is making numbers us like A123 did for LiFePO4 with the 3.3v instead of 3.2v for marketing purposes.

Last edited by MN Driver; 02-22-2013 at 07:32 AM..