View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
razor02097
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
The connector described is called an anderson connector.

Using a heavier battery causes nothing but issues. Heavier battery = heavier mounts. You will NOT find an off the shelf mounting solution. I have tried... Even all of that aside using a heavier battery tires will wear faster, brakes will wear faster, you will tire more trying to pedal without using assist (heaven forbid something fails or the battery dies), its harder on axles and bearings, cargo capacity is greatly diminished (or even eliminated), and unless you mount the batteries at or below the axle you can't stand and pedal.

I know 56 lbs doesn't sound like a lot but my entire e-bike with the battery should weigh 72 lbs... Basically only 16 lbs more than just a 48v 18ah SLA battery pack!

With an 18ah SLA I seriously doubt you will get 50 miles unless you pedal a lot. If you keep adding weight eventually you will just overtax the electric motor. I am just saying instead of dropping a couple hundred dollars on batteries you may not be happy with you should take another look at lighter alternatives. Most LiFePo packs do come with a charger so you shouldn't worry about that. Basically I can carry three 48V 21ah battery packs for the same weight and size of one 48V 18ah SLA battery pack.

Honestly I don't know how far I will be able to go but I am planning on 50+ miles on a charge.

Project Avalon: E bike build