View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I think I did searches for an electric moped and such. I found a company in Northern VA that made lifepo4 electric mopeds, but they were 3 grand and payback to a gas moped would take 10 thousand miles. I decided against it.
How are you counting payback? comparing it to a $1,200 scooter that is made in China that will use 4 tanks of gas before it starts falling apart? and what is pay back... there are a lot of people who enjoy not having the sound of a chainsaw between their legs and will pay extra for that.

USA speed limit on a scooter is 30mph, there are gasoline scooters out there that if their governor was removed they would go 50mph, my favorite Ebike is the stealth bike, it has a governor that the user can reset so it has an "off road" top speed of over 50mph, 67mph if you can pedal that fast but it's allowed in all 50 states because it can have it's speed limited.
The other thing about E-bikes is that there top speed is without pedaling, once you are pedaling there is no speed limit other then the posted speed limit on the road you are on.
The advantage of an E-bike is that in the legal sense it is a bicycle, it's covered under your home owners insurance, you don't need a license, you can pedal it without electric power on side walks and bike paths, while a scooter or moped is a motor vehicle.