View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
govman6159
Extreme DIYer

Custom eBike - '89 Bianchi Mainstreet 24vdc motor w/ 24v/30ah LiFePO4 Battery Pack

2006 Prius - '06 Toyota Prius 2
Well, do you need a trike? If you just want to build an ebike, that's simple. Here's mine. If you want to duplicate it, I can point you in the right direction. I built this one for about $1000. It has lithium iron phospate batteries (24V/30ah). 50 miles of AER is really unachievable if you ask me. I have 16 15ah cells on my bike and 17-20 miles of AER is the best I can expect to get (and I'm only using a 500 watt motor). 50 miles would require 40-48 cells. That is an astronomical cost and amount of batteries.

I 100% guarantee you the bike in the link you posted will not get you anywhere near 50 miles AER. My guess is 6-8 miles in the real world. I don't care what the advertisement says. Its a 15AH battery pack powering up to a 1400 watt motor.

Additionally I see many drawbacks to this bike:
1) Unsprung weight of the hub motor - the motor is to the back of the bike and is unsprung weight on the wheel (causing it to be harder to pedal)
2) The battery pack is high mounted and to the back (this causes an unstable bike that will fall over easily and take bumps hard in the back. The front wheel will come off the ground easy too).
3) The motor is not geared (this limits hill climbing and assist, it also puts a severe strain on the battery and the motor (even when climbing small hills))

Here is a better set up (its called a mid mount motor). This allows you to continue to be able to shift the bike and use assist through all gears. It also reduces the strain on the battery and the motor when climbing hills. This type of setup eliminates all the drawbacks listed above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-10_12-57-31_120.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	12518