View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
xecute
EcoModding Lurker

ITZOLD - '81 Ford Mustang L
90 day: 15.44 mpg (US)
Front spats are the next big thing. There are two parts to Fords 1983 Probe IV set up, and a lot of people have missed the details on that landmark system because it wasn't seen unclothed for many years.

Fords 1983 Probe IV show car used a 75% total coverage plastic inner liner hooked onto the front wheel spindle. On front drive cars which don't have fully floating axles, they are little more work to hook up, but not a problem. The Mac Pherson strut or Wishbone spindel will work as a solid mount.

The silver 0.152 cd Probe IV had the standard plastic spat cover over the front, and the plastic liner inside stopped the 16" alloy wheels and tire combo rubbing the polycarbinate outer entirely, so it was probably the smartest system around. There are a few photos of the kit dissambled on the net, in front of a Pacakard sign in some storage house, and it is showing the driver side shroud removed, and the plastic inner liner. Epic stuff.

The system got down to the 0.137 cd Probe V in 1985.

I'm using it on my Mustang soon. The front wheel has to be really wide on mine to test for aquaplaning, so I use 240/45 415's and a very basic Polycarbonate cover on the outside surface, the next size up 255 /45 415 wheel to gain a 10 mm 0.394" running clearance and that allows the whole wheel to turn without the tire hitting air and creating the 0.8 cd a rolling wheel can generate.

A rolling wheel conver is the differernce between the 0.22 and 0.15, and can be 40% or more of the air drag reduction.