View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Curtis in Texas
EcoModding Lurker

Don't really have a small scooter right now, but I' have owned several.
I do, however have a 650 cc Dual Sport Bike that I've built a one wheel trailer to use behind it. There are several commercially built small one wheel trailers on the market that would pull nicely behind a scooter, but they don't come cheap! Being a Cheap ******* with a SHop full of cool tools I made my own!
I built mine to use for hauling camping gear when riding two up and to get the weight off the bike for balancing purposes!
It will be used for fetching groceries and other shopping duties for my shop when completed. My Gas powered Dual Sport gives me 45 mpg on a normal load, and I ride it all the time. My Diesel KLR gives me 130! But under a trailer load I expect I'll be doing to good to get 105 mpg out of it should I need it to make a grocery run after the SHTF. I do have plans to put a hitch like the one I built for the other bike to avail myself of the trailer and saddle bags off the gas bike!

Making a hitch for them is not a real big deal. Obvioulsy a 3 axis trailer ball hitch won't work on a single wheel trailer, but a universal joint or driveshaft type joint will give the need 2 axis rotation needed for a one wheel trailer.

And while I'm talking about trailers, I built a two wheel trailer some years ago to pull behind my Big Suzuki and it was not a big problem to haul it. Stopping it was another matter if it was loaded too heavy, but as long as I had time and space, it was not a problem. So take stopping into consideration with any trailer behind a motorcycle and especially if it's behind a lightweight scooter!

This one used two 8 inch boat wheels and a simple car top carrier for the body. The frame was simple and lightweight! I also pulled that thing all over the US behind my 1978 4 WD Subaru with the wife and kids in the car! One of the adveantagre of a two wheel trailer is it's added versatility.
I never had a flat or slung any tire rubber off running 70 mph for hours on end. Just had to remember to pack the wheel bearings before a trip and keep good fresh rubber on it.

The two wheel trailer wasn't any wider than the Suzuki 750's saddle bags so having it track behind me in traffic wasn't a big deal.
Just something to think about!

I would think a Thule Rocket Box would make a nice scooter trailer body!
The Following User Says Thank You to Curtis in Texas For This Useful Post:
stillsearching (04-13-2013)