View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Well, the good fuel economy effect was discovered on insightcentral that you over filled the tank spilling fuel into the characoal canister and it helped to enrich the mixture of air into the engine, so it used less fuel from the injectors and the system read higher than normal mpg.
That would mean that the discrepancy between the FE from the MID and the fuel pump/mileage ratio would be larger if you max the fill than if you don't.

Sounds reasonable enough though, and we know there is a spillage recovery system. My guess is that the gas contains some very light components that evaporate over time and get sucked up by the recovery system, enriching the mixture while evading the MID's equasion. After a day the lightest gases are gone and so is this effect.

My home had a pair of magnets on the main waterline when I bought it, so the H2O molecules got aligned to give better fpg from the loo (just guessing here). Sadly, as my brain has 2 halves, I felt like removing them so my loo now no longer has any boasting rights.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 02-23-2013 at 05:27 PM..