View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
alvaro84
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying kurmaster View Post
you can certainly get trailers for scooters, but the economics of motorcycles when you factor in maintenance, insurance etc... don't add up. I own three scooters currently and have owned more then a dozen, if your question is "what is the best vehicle economically to get around in all weather conditions and have a payload capacity" then I would say get a small car, IMHO
Strange, but might be true. I'm very inexperienced in car maintenance, but after owning Teresa for 4.5 years I can tell the same. I'm make notes not only about FE but every cost and maintenance have been somewhat more than gas so far. And our gas costs ~ double of yours.

A small car costs less in gas - but I still don't know too much about car running costs.

OK, she's a bit off topic being a 650cc single. But FE-wise she's more like a 250

But at least my tire situation isn't as dire as stillsearching mentioned. I had a set of Metzeler Z6s (though I payed more for the pair than for 4 cheap tires for the YARDIS) that lasted more than 17000 miles and my present Heidenau K73 front is very close to 20000 (but I've worn 3 rears during that time, so the Z6 was much more balanced). Far more than 2500. Tires still make a large share of the running cost.

Other large part is the belt drive, which seems somewhat more expensive than chains, again. Belts and sprockets are expensive as hell. More than tires. But chains and sprockets aren't free either.

Last edited by alvaro84; 02-24-2013 at 10:01 AM..