Thread: Heated Fuel
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #41 (permalink)
Gollum
EcoModding Lurker

I know I'm bringing this back up from the dead, but I was looking up details on this subject again to see what all people have tried and it's almost scary how little info people are equipped with and how much "myth" there is around the topic.

Since I can't post a link with no post history do a google search for "Honda formula one turbo-charged V-6 1.5L engine" and the first result should be a PDF on K20A.org

There, now you all have 100% legitimate proof that increasing fuel temp increases BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption, or actual power created per volume of fuel for you non-hardcore gear heads).

The paper talks about intake temp and how it relates to BSFC, fuel temp and how it relates to BSFC, boost pressure and how it relates to BSFC, fuel mixture and how it relates to BSFC, I think you get the point.

Of course this is all based around THEIR engine, which though loosely based off of a production block at the time, is quite a "special" application. The physics should hold true though.

Heating fuel is a GOOD thing, and I recommend doing it RIGHT by adding a small copper "radiator" and sealing it up to pass hot coolant through, and then following the whole thing up with a solenoid and temp sensor so a controller can bypass the heater to maintain a specific temperature. If you don't get a predictable output temp going to the injectors then you're flying blind on tuning the thing, and that's the whole point of ecomodding, yes?

Anyhoo, just thought that PDF might help some of you. I've been a long time lurker and decided to finally create an account so maybe you'll be hearing from me again soon. ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Gollum For This Useful Post:
Superfuelgero (12-15-2013)