Thread: The Scrapcento
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #61 (permalink)
maczo
EcoModding Lurker

scrapcento - '99 fiat seicento
90 day: 30.15 mpg (US)

fokus - '08 Ford Focus
90 day: 31.15 mpg (US)

tdm - '95 Yamaha TDM 850
90 day: 27.72 mpg (US)

vespa - '04 Piaggio Vespa ET4
90 day: 57.6 mpg (US)

PCX - '10 Honda PCX
90 day: 78.33 mpg (US)

avensis - '13 Toyota Avensis
90 day: 40.6 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrzejM View Post
Thermostat is always the factor, if it's opening too early engine temperature will drop significantly while driving. And it doesn't matter where temp sensor is placed. Coolant temp is similar in whole system.
Actually I was thinking that what Pandaf meant, was that the thermostat did not open and assumed the sensor was mounted somewhere in the "big loop", hence it would not get any warmer. But of course it's more common for the thermostat to not stay closed, so that's a small misunderstanding . Either way, when the car is idling on the parking spot, it does not make a difference for the terminal temperature whether the thermostat opens too early or not, it will just affect the time to warm up.

I would test the gauge if I hadn't left the car at my parents', I don't think I will be seeing it in the next 3 weeks. I'm looking for hints to give to the mechanic when he finally gets to work on the car, so that he gets the job done quickly. I think testing the gauge is one of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viturro
My dad had a Fiat 125 with Fiat ritmo engine 1.7l diesel, and with my dad we reach the 155 km/h that engine have 55 hp, your car should reach the same speed at least.
Oh, that's a nice car. Did you swap the engine for better economy?

I went ~140kph for a moment and I felt it would go faster, but stability at these speeds is not that great in a car with such short wheel base so I eased off. Also, I could not stand the thought of swirl forming in the fuel tank, if you know what I mean

The Scrapcento thread