View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #193 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
I hadn't realized that the setup could be used on any voltage battery. I'll have to bust that thing out and test how many amps it draws.
I designed mine with an old blown out power strip (dual rail) some diodes a broken extension cord (female end was gone) some battery clamps and whatever load I want. For things like you are doing, very very slow is best until you figure out what you can pump without kabloom. So a night light or something with a very very high resistance to start. Mine will put out anywhere from 0-15amps and can be run in AC output (discharge) or DC output (charge) and of coarse OFF.

A zener and resistor could tame one of these beasties down fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Body looks great though! I hope we get a heat wave sometime soon. If it gets above freezing again I can wash the car!

Anything "exterior-related" seems to be in good condition. For example, the car has TWO charging ports on it, a J1772 and a high-speed charging port. Both have a nice locking connector over the top that is spring-loaded and gasketed. There's no corrosion or anything at all in either of those. They look perfect.

A person or two has mentioned to me that this car would make an excellent sleeper, converting it to a high-amp DC setup.
Why not grab a $5k smashed up leaf or volt and dump the whole front end under there and make a frankenstein?

Your Mitsu Volt would be quite interesting, especially with a longer front end

Cheers
Ryan

Last edited by rmay635703; 02-25-2013 at 09:37 PM..