View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
govman6159
Extreme DIYer

Custom eBike - '89 Bianchi Mainstreet 24vdc motor w/ 24v/30ah LiFePO4 Battery Pack

2006 Prius - '06 Toyota Prius 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
It's also a 52v system. 52v*15ah is 750 watthours. Your 24V battery is 30ah so 24v*30ah is 720 watthours.

Unsprung weight on a bicycle is actually good. The more weight put on the frame the less rider/cargo weight the bike can carry. It won't make it any more difficult to pedal than the weight of a motor sitting on the frame.
  • Hub motors are less complicated. There are no gears, chains or extra freewheeling hubs to have to mess with.
  • There are hub motors that are available with regenerative braking.
  • Hub motors are easier to mount, they just replace a wheel.
  • They are much quieter and they are (at least to me) more aesthetically Pleasing.
  • When choosing a hub motor one should make sure to size it correctly. You can get a hub motor that is geared...they have massive torque and you can get away with a smaller motor. However it is typically louder and not as fast.
Well, if we want to get technical, my system is 25.6V (25.6*30=768wh).

No gears = less efficiency or if you opt for a geared hub motor, break out the wallet and be ready to pay. Then you might get 3 or 4 gears. Use a mid mount motor as pictured above and all gears are available (21 on this bike but up to 30 on some). This allows you to take advantage of the bikes stock gearing. Some will say harder to set up but, to me, its about as complicated as adjusting spokes.
Regen braking on a bike/trike is not really practical. It produces drag that either limits coasting or top downhill speed. The net regen is almost useless and def not worth the cost or complexity it adds. I could maybe see it being practical in San Fran or Colorado but not in most of the US.

I hear your points and expected this response. I guess it just comes down to personal preference. Its funny that you see a hub motor as more asthetically pleasing. When I see one, I immediately think "that is so ugly".