View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #614 (permalink)
Blue Angel
EcoModding Apprentice

Previous Car - '12 Chevrolet Cruze Eco MT
Team Chevy
90 day: 44.29 mpg (US)

535d XDrive - '16 BMW 535d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Was that at a facility on River Road, not too far from the airport?
That's Environment Canada, where all the lab testing is done. They have several dyno cells, one large enough to test HD trucks and busses. TC does most of their standard testing there, and EC does all of their fuel economy and emissions evaluations there. It's a neat place, for sure.

Transport's head office is downtown, but the ETV group has a small remote garage they use for storage and maintenance of the fleet. That's where my "office" was. The fleet had a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid that I used for most of my work related running around. That was a nice car, and using some simple driving techniques I was able to maintain fuel consumption of less than 5L/100km with about a 70/30 split of city/hwy driving.

Yes, it was a really cool job. It didn't pay too well, and my position was only a one year term (not permanent), but it really was cool. If they ever created a permanent Fleet Manager's position with a little better pay I'd apply back there in a heartbeat!

I still keep in touch with the guys there, and they tell me they are working on all kinds of new stuff... I'm jealous!