View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
MTXA
Runs with scissors

Spot - '05 Scion XA
90 day: 30.33 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
One customer (female) had some brake work done and her master cylinder failed while we were trying to bleed the system. She told me she did not have enough money to pay the additional cost but she had to have her car for her work. I took the 4 year old master off my own car and put it on her car and put a new one on mine.

She never forgot that kindness and the goodwill paid me back many times over with the new customers she sent my way.
Early in my career, I worked at a tire center. On a cold, rainy October night, a woman walked into the shop and said she had a flat at the grocery store across the way. She had kids and groceries in her car. My boss told her we wouldn't help her because it was closing time. She explained she bought her tires at this shop. Boss still said no. I told her to sit tight, and when my shift was over I'd help her. I took her back to her car, put my spare tire on her car to get her home. I got chewed out the next day when she came back to get her tire fixed and he threatened to fire me. A couple of days later when the shop was overbooked (as usual), both of us mechanics loaded our tools and quit. The shop went under soon after.