View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Duffman
Master EcoModder

I graduated in 2001 and I had DC and Fortran programming in 1rst year, AC in Second year, a EE elective in 3rd year of either basic electronics or Power systems and two classes in Controls in 4rth and I took an elective in programming a microcontroller that year as well. The 3rd year electives only teach you very simple analysis, the controls was 100% theoretical and the microcontroller class was way too short. From my year at least, we were left with a minimal understanding, completely short of designing anything and god help you if you had to build something. I liken it to asking a EE to talk about materials/manufacturing or dynamics of mechanical systems or heat transfer, they know what each are but don’t have a deep enough background to competently do anything with them on a mechanical system with any degree of complexity.

I will agree that new M.E. programs are trying to focus more on the inter-disciplinary stuff, but doesn’t that cheapen your abilities WRT what you could know about mech systems?