View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
2000neon
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
Resume question, I would appreciate some input

I would like some fresh opinions on this. I am currently in my 3rd year at Wilfed Laurier University here in Waterloo, in honours Health Science, and I am looking to get into more career related work. I am applying for various positions including physician assistant, pharmacy assistant, and lab tech assistant. I have some previous lab, and pharmacy experience, as well as some direct medical experience, from my medical volunteering trip to Nicaragua and Honduras. My medical experience includes hands on work with patients, including interviewing patient history, taking blood pressure, physical examinations, etc.

My question is for applying for one specific position, am I better off to only list skills related to the position, or due to my relative lack of experience, list all of the skills that I have, even if they don't apply to the job? For example, should I mention direct patient care, when applying for the pharmacy assistant position?

I have heard strong arguments, for both sides, with more votes towards showcasing my wide variety of skills, as a supplement for relative lack of experience. While some others say to exclude exprience/ skills that do not transfer to the position that I am applying for.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve