View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveradoMike View Post
Im still having trouble understanding how improving power (mostly low end torque) wouldn't translate to an increase in mpg. Letting the engine make the same amount of power eaiser or at a lower rpm seems to make sense in my head. My thinking is this. If you have two identical trucks with idenical loads and total weight. But one has 500hp/tq and the other has 250hp/tq. Wouldnt the one with more power be able to do the job eaiser? There for reducing load on the engine and thus decreasing throttle input/fuel usage? Both being driven same route/speed ect.
Yeah, I think "easier on the engine/truck" doesn't necessarily mean "using less fuel". A big, burly football player could undoubtedly carry an old lady's groceries out to her car "easier" than she could too, but I'll bet he eats more!!!!

It was touched on here already, but the best BSFC is usually at higher engine loading. If you have a monster engine, the only time it'll be at that higher loading is when it's doing some SERIOUS work, like hauling a huge load, driving really fast, accelerating really hard, etc. (which are all bad fuel economy situations)

Therefore, increasing the power of the engine, is probably working against fuel economy. Now - - - I don't know, it might be working to help engine life - - - ?????