View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #31 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Good points, all. I do not remember reading about any "optimum" temperature, as such, but pre-ignition / detonation are things to steer away from.

Preventing overly hot temperatures was one reason I went with a heater core-based heater, as opposed to an exhaust manifold-based heater. It'd be near-impossible to get 300 F out of coolant (and if you're getting that high a temperature out of coolant, you've got other issues...) Another reason was that it was easier to route coolant hoses than it was to route air hoses.

As for the actual temperature? Your guess is as good as mine. I do know that my truck seems to love 130 F as its intake temperature. I would go higher, except that might start wandering into pre-ignition / detonation territory.
Yeah, I think excessive intake air temperature is why they started putting intercoolers on turbos. Good to know yours runs well at 130, though. I'll move my target range's upper limit to there for my testing.

And your heater core idea is probably really good for cruising with a warm engine, but if your goal includes faster warmups, the benefit of warm intake air wouldn't start until AFTER the engine was already warm enough to have hot coolant in that heater core, would it?

And at the risk of being a kill-joy, if I understand right, keeping the engine nice & toasty even at low power levels, is one of our goals, right? So wouldn't the heater core air heater be undermining that effort a little? But the exhaust's heat will always be there, though, and isn't going to cool the engine down by having some heat sucked off it.