View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Shortie771
Eco Sol

Idea on Auto Adjusting Grill Block

So I tried a grill block on my Honda Del Sol and it was a definite no go. On the highway it was just fine, but when I got into the slower town areas or a high traffic area, I started to see my temps rise because the fan had become restricted to how much air it could pull in (which was weird because I had a pretty big hole in it). Well, in the summer it gets over 100F every year (gotta love Texas)... I don't want to have to constantly be worried about over-heating and monitoring my temps. I also dont want to put a grill block on and have to remove it every time it gets hot. I want a grill block that can stay on all year, so that I am always getting the benefits and not have to worry about over-heating in the summer.

So I started thinking of how to make a grill block that would adjust itself according to how fast I am going... I know I could make a fin-style one or a slide for the opening and attach a motor or cable to it, but I am going for something completely worry free that I dont have to take my hands off the wheel for.

What I have come up with (still not sure if it will work, still in the planning stage) is a fin-style grill block that has an additional fin (perpendicular) on both sides. When the car is still (or at low speed) the grill block portion will remain open, but when the vehicle gains speed air is pushed against the verticle fins which will cause them to tilt. When they tilt, they will push the levers upward causing the grill block portion to close. The levers are attached on the back portion of the grill block (larger) fins, so that they will naturally want to close, making it easier for the air to close them. With this design, I believe it would be possible to mount a camera to the fron of the car to see what speed allows the grill to close completely and then the (what I just now have decided to call) Activating Fins could be weighted to close at any desired speed.

This is just an idea at this point, but I would love some feedback. I hope I explained this ok without confusing anybody.

Here are some terrible pics I drew up in paint.

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shortie771 For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (04-07-2017), stargazerf3a (03-08-2013)