View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #202 (permalink)
RatherDashing
EcoModding Apprentice

well right now im just posting on here that i did get a new timing belt today and the tensioner tool. also my iacv gasket came in. new distributor wont be here til next week more than likely. i also ordered a water pump which should come in next week. i dont think the water pump is an issue yet but i am getting the timing belt on and timed today. also to see if the valve adjustment was successful

it felt wierd doing the valve adjustment but im pretty certain i did it right. started out with cyl 1 and cranked with my hand/thumb over the spark plug hole. also removed all the spark plugs too. and when i felt pressure i took a long poker and put it all the way down the hole. slowly cranked til it stopped at its highest point to find TDC for that cyl. i also got another feeler gauge from sears. this one seems more precise and it is angled. i went thru the intake valve and exhaust valve parts for ea cylinder. made sure that there was slight drag while putting the .007 feeler gauge thru the intake ones. and if the .008 one had trouble going thru then i tightned up the lock nut and re checked the gap to make sure it was good. .009 and .010 for the exhaust ones.

i did this to all the cylinders. cranking it to ea one. it was mixed results. some were tighter than others and i had to turn the locknuts quite a bit. and a few others were too loose.most were too tight. espeically cylinder 2. i think almost all the intake and exhaust ones on that was were pretty tight.

correct me please if this all sounds right? i also checked to make sure that the roter on dist was aimed at ea correct plug wire as well.

right now i have splash guard off and am trying to find the alternator adjusting bolt and pivot nut. thats why i got back on here.

the distributor cap connections look kinda corroded. this might have been part of the issue as well.

any other thoughts or tips lemme know please all is appreciated. hopefully i can get this all mechanically working very well after next week especially with new distributor