View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #203 (permalink)
RatherDashing
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
"Lock nut tool"? Not sure what you're talking about there.

For the nut that is on the adjuster (sometimes called a "jam nut" because it is tightened against the rocker arm and keeps the adjuster from turning itself) you just use a regular box-end wrench. You could use a socket, but you can't keep the adjuster from turning if you do that, so a wrench is the recommended tool. You stick a screwdriver in the slot on the end of the adjuster to keep it from turning when you loosen or tighten the jam nut.

Note the torque spec on those nuts is 10 lb-ft, which isn't much! That's if the rocker arms are aluminum like the ones from my 1990 Si were.

I still suggest asking someone who has done a valve adjustment before to come over and at least double-check your first one.

-soD
its an exact mixture of both tools but all in one for the lock nuts. ill post it when i can. i think it was only about 15 bucks and came within a day or two. it was really helpfully in moving the screws very slightly and tightening them right away. i tried without one the first time night i was trying to do the valve clearence and ever so slighlty chipped a very tiny part of one of the screws. i dont think its a biggie