View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ehninger12
EcoModding Lurker

Squeezing more MPG out of a brick house.

For starters, im new. but not new to the automotive world.

So from what can tell there are not many SUV's around getting eco modded, which i find surprising because SOO many people own them these days.

So i have decided to test somethings out on mine, its a 2.7 ton 2005 land rover lr3. its full time AWD a high compression 4.4lV8 and a 6spd Auto transmission with manushift. When i first bought the LR3 i was averaging 13.8 to 14.3 mpg. almost all city, and that was driving very conservatively. After reading a few articles on oil viscosity's i changed my engine oil for some 5w-20 synthetic and changed all the drive-train fluids (minus the transmission) with fresh synthetic oil. This slightly increased my mpg, i am now averaging 15 to 16mpg consistently, driving the same route same style. the vehicle has no other mods. performance wise.

Now a list of possible future mods.
1.) This vehicle has a large clutch driven fan, seeing as land rover went over kill on the cooling system (130f ambient= no problem) i am looking into an electric fan. I swapped one on my 1999 jeep and went from 19mpg hwy average to 21mpg hwy average. This was when i was commuting 120 miles round trip a day at 55mph, all highway at 4:30am the vehicle was a 4.0l i6 5 speed jeep hard top with 3.73 gears and 33 12.50 r15 all terrain tires.

2.) I am planning on a custom detachable grill block using plexiglass that way i can put it on the outside of my grill and it will barely be noticeable. to improve highway mileage during road trips. i currently average 19mpg and 60mph, and 17.5 at 70mph. (huge drop!)

3.) I think this vehicle would greatly benefit from some sort of belly pan for road trips Most likely made of aluminum because it will need to be strong during the occasional off road usage.