View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

TIGON Diesel Hybrid

Hey Gang,

I thought I would open up a build thread for my new project so others can follow until I finish with my website!

Here is a brief rundown of the project:

The vehicle is a 3 wheeled reverse trike with a diesel electric hybrid powertrain. The hybrid design is a parallel configuration allowing the diesel engine and electric motor to run in tandem when desired. The diesel engine is a 2 cylinder V Twin .79L 19hp naturally aspirated water cooled engine. The electric motor is a Permanent Magnet Alternating Current (PMAC) design. Batteries are a Lithium Iron Supercapacitor Hybrid rated at 40ah with a 5.76kw adjustable capacity battery bank. Vehicle has regenerative braking capability and has plug in ability. The estimated battery only range is between 30-40mi on a single charge at an 80% discharge depth. Hybrid batteries can be charged to 80% max with in a 30min period of time.

The prototype vehicle is being built as an hybrid but can also be configured as either a diesel only or an EV only vehicle. The vehicle will be built in stages to demonstrate the various configuration possibilities with the platform. The goal for this vehicle is a freeway capable long range cruiser. Everything on this vehicle is being optimized for range. However I estimate the top speed to be near the 90MPH area or better depending on how the final gear ratios are adjusted. With the hybrid design the vehicle should have great acceleration and top end speed. The diesel only vehicle will not have comparable acceleration or top end speed that the hybrid will enjoy, but will still be quite capable on the freeway and can be had for far less initial cost!

I decided to take on this project some time ago because I was mainly disappointed with the fuel economy and price of current vehicle selections. I also always wanted to have a reverse trike but again disappointed with the selections available. It seemed as though most of the trikes were designed for the sport performance enthusiasts rather than the eco friendly guy like me! I wanted a trike that is fully enclosed and fully capable in all driving conditions that is freeway capable and gets above 100mpg. After determining my wants and needs I looked at the DIY plans and concept vehicles past and present, I researched them for years until I came up with a suitable game plan.

The game plan that I came up with is called TIGON and is a conglomeration of many different vehicle designs all under one hood! Some of my inspirations include the 1954 Fiat Turbina, Quincy-Lynn Urba Centurion, Volkswagen L1 series of prototypes, and the 2002 Opel eco-speedster. I incorporated many design features and elements from these vehicles into the Tigon. While the Tigon is very much still a work in progress the building phase has begun and I thought it would be a good time to share it with the world and get some initial feedback underway.

I hope you all will be able to find some good use out of this thread for your own personal builds as well as find enjoyment in learning how to build a diesel electric hybrid trike from the ground up.

Best wishes,

GreenHornet...