View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
razor02097
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
All I can say after reading this thread is this. If you think you can shift gears clutchless then go drive and old 39 Ford farm truck with a granny geared 4 speed, with no synchros whatsoever.

I used to shift clutchless in my 959 Corvette with a M22 transmission. Only used the clutch to get going in first. That was close to 40 years ago.

Just becasue you accomplish a shift without a clutch does not mean you are not stressing and wearing the synchros as well as the rest of the transmission. Drive one of those ancient non synchro vehicles, like a 39 Ford farm truck with no synchros, where any small miscalculation is immediatly apparent when you hear the grinding of gear teeth.

The only time I would do clutchless shifting is when the clutch was broke. It's just advice, I dont need a bunch of nasty remarks about your or my skills. I occasionally shift my bikes without the clutch, but it is a mistake, not intentional. I have rebuilt hundreds of transmissions in case you want to call me ignorant.

regards
Mech
I was about to mention the clutch broken thing.... when the clutch cable broke on my bike I did clutchless shifting to get home... but I felt guilty as hell the whole time. I am very sympathetic to machines.

I do a variant of the OP's procedure... but I use the clutch when selecting the next gear. When I shift the clutch goes in and next gear is selected then the clutch is let out the moment the RPMs drop to the appropriate speed at which point the clutch is out all the way and power is applied. It makes for a much smoother acceleration.

Project Avalon: E bike build