View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Blue Angel
EcoModding Apprentice

Previous Car - '12 Chevrolet Cruze Eco MT
Team Chevy
90 day: 44.29 mpg (US)

535d XDrive - '16 BMW 535d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Fuelly is showing about 33 mpgUS for both the 2013 Mazda 2 and Mazda 3. Cruze is 33. New Fiesta 35. Focus drivers are lead foots at 28 mpgUS.
I may be a little biased because I own a Cruze, but I'm pretty impressed with my 2012 Eco. Considering the size and weight of the car (which make it pretty smooth, quiet and substantial feeling), I'm getting outstanding mileage. Yes I drive properly to get that mileage, and yes my daily driving does not have much stop and go, but I'm still impressed.

The main reason I'm chiming in is WRT the Cruze Eco and the Focus SFE. These two models are not properly represented when looking at a Fuelly cross section of all vehicles.

I can't speak for the Ford, but the Eco's extra tall gearing makes great mileage easy, for me at least. This car really rewards fuel concious driving, and the various displays and mileage readouts let you keep an eye on how your habits are affecting your fuel use (IMO every car should have this as it encourages fuel efficient driving).

Allch Chcar, if you really require a HB body style then the Cruze won't be for you, but otherwise it might be worth a drive.

If mileage is near the top of your list of priorities I would arrange an extended test drive of any vehicle that you're considering. That will be the only way of knowing if it will perform up to your expectations in the environment YOU are going to be using it in. Example: A large part of my commute is done with the cruise control set around 75 km/h (~45 MPH). If I was buying a car with an automatic transmission I personally would want it to be in its top gear at that speed, but many cars won't go into top gear until around 80 km/h (~50 MPH). I wouldn't want to discover that AFTER buying it.

Regarding the hype over 40 MPG Hwy cars lately, I keep wondering how fuel efficient my last car, an '01 Saturn coupe, would have been if it had the Cruze Eco drivetrain... that Saturn was 500 lbs lighter and MUCH smaller, with a much larger 1.9L engine that had FAR shorter gearing. My 3000 lb 1.4L Eco is turning only 1500 RPM @ 50 MPH.