View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Allch Chcar
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
C-Max is only showing 37.5 mpgUS. Honda Fit gets 33.5 at half the price. Mazda 5 is only at 25.
The Honda Fit is a good car no doubt about it. But it doesn't have the old base engine and a 2.5L model weighing down the numbers. The MPG I saw for Skyactiv models was pretty comparable. I saw quite a few with 37-42MPG so that's encouraging. The Fit is a bit smaller passenger wise and the transmissions are either the 4 speed auto or the 5 speed with really short gearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
Allch Chcar, if you really require a HB body style then the Cruze won't be for you, but otherwise it might be worth a drive.

If mileage is near the top of your list of priorities I would arrange an extended test drive of any vehicle that you're considering. That will be the only way of knowing if it will perform up to your expectations in the environment YOU are going to be using it in. Example: A large part of my commute is done with the cruise control set around 75 km/h (~45 MPH). If I was buying a car with an automatic transmission I personally would want it to be in its top gear at that speed, but many cars won't go into top gear until around 80 km/h (~50 MPH). I wouldn't want to discover that AFTER buying it.
Yes, it has to be the hatchback. I was watching the FRS/BRZ for the longest time. Now that I'm looking to buy, I know that I need something that's fuel efficient and has ample passenger and cargo room. But it needs to have some pretenses of sportiness. I've heard the Cruze was more towards the cushy side so I marked it off the list immediately.

This is true about the longer test drive, but how do you arrange for that? I live a long way from the dealership so it's not really feasible to borrow it for more than the weekend and stay in town for that time.