View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
PaleMelanesian
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
SuperbrightLEDs taillights and marker lights

I've been wanting to do this for a while, but didn't want to sink the money into an old car. Now's the right time - when the car is still "new". I did the front markers, tail/brake/markers, license plate, dome, and cargo lights. I did not touch the turn signals (LEDs tend to hyper-flash due to low resistance) or the headlights (none bright enough or focused enough or legal enough). I looked up oem-spec bulbs from Sylvania to get reference Watts, color temp, and Lumens for selecting the replacements. I won't sacrifice safety.

I don't expect this to save much gas directly. What it will do is allow longer engine-off time and less overnight battery charging.

PositionOEM WattsLED WattsSuperBright model
Brake/Taillight x225/52.5/0.57443-R45-T Red
Front Marker x240.7WLED-AHP6-AC Amber
License Plate x250.4WLED-WWHP6-AC Warm White
Dome100.83022-WWHP4 Warm White
Cargo51.6WLED-WWHP15-TAC Warm White

The cargo light is much brighter than stock, which was badly needed.
I tried 2 different models of license plate light. One (WLED-WWHP6) has good color, but is a bit bright. The other (WLED-WW5) has a classic cheap LED green hue to the color. I'm not a fan.

I measured current draw at the battery. (x12.0 for watts) All measurements are with the car on but engine off (EOC).

StateOEM power drawLED power draw
No lights38W38W
Running/marker + taillights66W41W
Headlights176W151W

I was surprised at how little power the car draws with lights off.

My first observation is that turning on the running lights hardly affects the battery at all. 2nd observation is that pressing the brakes hardly affects the battery. Before it would drop the voltage by -0.2V initially, dragging it down to -0.4V during one red light. Now it flickers between no change and -0.1V.

Front marker lights. (brightened for visibility, but the key is comparing the two)

Back end (photos untouched). The 220 lumen LED taillight is as bright as the 440 lumen incandescent, because all its output is red. Much of the incandescent's output is lost in the red lens.
Also, see the difference between the clean color of the xHP6 and the x5 leds. The HP series is better.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED_front.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	12645   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED_back_x5.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	12646   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED_back_hp6.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	12647  

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaleMelanesian For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (03-08-2013), redpoint5 (03-13-2013)