View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Nice!
Are you planning on installing aftermarket HIDs? I did on my Insight; saves me 40W when operating them (35W each i.o. 55W as for the OEM halogens) and produces over 3 times as much light. The lens lamps on the Insight have very low stray light, the extra light just makes the car better visible from aside (on a par to other cars instead of below par).

I have LEDs in my map and door entry lights. As much of the light gets wasted ion the grey plastic housing, I lined that with strips of alu foil backed with 2-sided sticky tape.
It works, just make sure it does not make contact with any current bearing part.

I also put 7W 24LED grids in my dome and on my boot light.
When I unlock the car in pitch dark, the inside is lit very brightly indeed and even the surroundings of the car is lit enough to prevent tripping over whatever's there.

The boot is also a joy to open now. Bright enough f.i. to find the black air pump in the black foam crevisse onder the boot floor hatch, and to read the fine print on it from a distance.
Further LED mods: 1W 5-LED license plate lights, 2.5W 13-LED city lights, 28LED 3W fog light replacements (as DRLs).

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.