View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #217 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
The electric power steering unit on my wife's Hyundai I10 died last summer; actually it was a faulty sensor, working fine on startup it typically gave up just when turning into a tight corner; led to a couple of hairy situations on the road...
The sensor wasn't available anywhere in Europe so it was in backorder for weeks; finally the dealership replaced the entire steering column from a new I10 from their showroom just to get us going again... +1 for the dealership, -99 for Hyundai.

Anyway in the meantime, as my wife (who is tiny) found the car undriveable, I raised the front tires pressure by .5 bar (+7 PSI); this literally halved the force needed to steer it. After that she could drive it again. It failed less often and even when it did it was manageable.

I once did the same on my front heavy Golf II Diesel. Sadly it had bad cheapo tires and met its end being cut and outbraked by some lease car pig. The collision was no more than a gentle kiss; but the steel parts on the 19 year old car had turned to rust, so the paint was all that was left of the crumple zone's strength. The headlights were facing each other. A sad sight
Straightened the body rust panels with my bare hands to get going again; yet went straight on to buy something remotely safe.

Don't mind the power steering, get a set of top quality tires and inflate them to the max.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 03-07-2013 at 05:45 PM..