View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
jpfeffer
EcoModding Lurker

Blending Old Hobbies with Ecomodding

Hey everyone. My name is Josh, I'm from the St. Louis, Missouri area, and I'm starting to really build interest in ecomodding. I've been lurking here for awhile, and have decided that it's about time to actually join the community instead of peeking in on it. I come from owning cars where I didn't care about gas mileage at all: lifted Jeeps, V8 Camaros, turbocharged 4s that only took 93+, etc. However, I just got married a few months ago, bought a house, and am working on getting into PA school, so to save money and limit some of the financial hardships associated with taking on all of these things at once, I bought a '93 Honda Civic hatchback. It was in "less than desirable" condition when I got it, to say the least. I've spent a few months redoing the body, gutting the parts off of the car that I don't need/want, and putting together a D15Z1 swap for it. My crank has a small groove worn in to it, and it leaks a small amount of oil, but I have another Z1 on an engine stand at the moment, and it'll be getting rebuilt as time and funds allow. Haven't actually started driving the car yet since I'm just now finishing up the rebuild (wheel bearings get pressed in first thing tomorrow morning), but I hope to get it on the road and able to be logged in the garage here before too long. I realize that some of the things I've done will go against ecomodding (15" wheels for instance), but I can't bring myself to go completely for ecomodding just yet. I still have a desire to be a part of the local car scene and have to find a balance between saving fuel and building a car I enjoy.

The Car:
1993 Honda Civic Hatchback (VX Clone)

Goals:
Build a reliable vehicle that not only nets 45+ mpg, but can also pull up to local cruise spots and fit in.

Mods:
D15Z1 Swap
ABS Delete
Rear Integra GSR Disc Brakes
Rear Seat Delete
Radio/Speaker Delete
A/C Delete
Wire Tuck
Brake Line Tuck
Full Color Change (Cement Grey from the 2012 tC2)
Battery Relocate
Lowered on Coilovers (~2" Drop?)
15" Integra GSR Wheels
Microsuede Headliner
Black Interior Swap
Passenger Mirror Delete
Carbon Fiber Spoiler
HID Headlights
LED Taillights

Plans:
MPGuino
Grill Block
DIY Belly Pan
DIY Rear Diffuser
Rebuild and Swap a Second D15Z1
Lightweight Seats
Carbon Fiber Hood
LED Gauge Lights

Will update this post with pictures if/when I'm able to.

Last edited by jpfeffer; 03-07-2013 at 09:49 PM..