Thread: Safer Drafting?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
trikkonceptz
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Safer Drafting?

Well as its been said and proven so many times, drafting is an effective way to increase mpg. However it is very dangerous in everyday driving because of the close proximity you have to get in order to get effective gains.

In my driving however I have begun to notice that I get incredible FE gains when a tractor trailer passes me, even if for a moment. SO for the past couple of days I have done another non scientific experiment.

I began drafting the truck from the other lane. In other words, I stay one lane over and still maintain the 20-30 ft distance behind the rig. This keeps me off his ass and in his mirrors, so if he has to get over into my lane I just let up and let him and wait for the next truck.

As far as gains, my normal FE on hwy is roughly 47.5mpg, while side drafting it jumps to a whoping 58mpg+, I saw a steady high today of 67mpg on the scangauge.

So while not as dangerous, I see potential in this because apparently the broken air off the back of one of these monsters is about three lanes wide. So have fun trying it, just figured I'd share my results so far. Now good luck finding a trucker doing 60mph on a freeway.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???