View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 03:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanf1lm View Post
Only problem is I do a lot of up hill driving so gear uping is off the grid.
I would still gear up 10-15%. You will be surprised how your bike will still do up the hills - just a gear down from what you are used to. I would also leave the jetting stock, unless it doesn't run well with the chopped pipe.

The main thing to remember is to stay ducked down as low as possible when riding, hiding behind the windscreen as much as possible. This will make a bigger difference than any mods you will do.

Also, practice your EOCing - it's actually quite easy on a bike:
When coasting, pull the clutch, turn the kill switch off, wait till the engine has stopped, then turn the kill switch on (right away to avoid an awkward moment when you need to accelerate again). Keep the clutch pulled and stay in gear. If you come to stop, gear down as you slow down for the stop, all with engine off. Start the engine with the starter if accelerating from a stop or slow speed, or bump start it if accelerating from a faster speed, say 15 mph or higher.

You may need to use a battery maintainer when your bike is parked because your charging system might not keep up if you EOC a lot.

A compression ratio bump is actually quite easy on some bike engines. If the cylinder(s) is/are separate from the crankcase, eliminate the base gasket and use an RTV sealant instead. This will get the piston higher in the cylinder at TDC. This will also retard the cam timing slightly because of the slightly shorter distance from camshaft to crankshaft, which some guys here say improves economy by creating an Atkinson-effect (delaying intake valve closing) and also makes the compression increase less dangerous by keeping the dynamic compression ratio at a reasonable level.

Last edited by mechman600; 03-08-2013 at 03:54 AM..