View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
Yes, EVs are already very practical for short commutes/running errands. I am talking about a way to make them practical for longer range drives. And yes, it would require EV makers to settle on a standardized pack.
That would be like asking auto makers to settle on a standardized engine, it took them long enough to agree to a single diagnostic plug language!
They can't even settle on a single quick charge plug, then Tesla comes along and designs their very own charging plug and quick charge plug, so in the US there are 6... 7... 8 charging plugs that vehicles have come with from the factory that I can think of off the top of my head and you want a standardized battery size, shape, voltage, amp hour rating, BMS interface, cooling interface and make it all quick connect to the underside of the car? I don't see that ever happening any sooner then I see every gas car on the road getting the exact same gas engine to make repairs easier and cheaper "just swap the engine for one that works! it will make repairs fast and cheap!"

over 90% of the population doesn't drive over 100 miles in a single day more then a few times per year and those few odd times per year they choose the vehicle that they are taking based off of things like how much cargo it can carry, how many people it can carry, if it has A/C, if it has a good radio, if it's reliable enough to drive 100 miles and make it back without braking down.

Last edited by Ryland; 03-09-2013 at 06:33 PM..