View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #565 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
But of course science IS argument from authority, with the universe being the authority. Your link is a perfect example of this. Wishful thinkers try to claim that it's not warming (or charitably, that a model attempting to deduce the extent of warming from limited data was not accurate), but the ice shelves still collapsed.
Neither side proved their point, including those on the side of "simple physics" - think this through, maybe the world as a model is more complex ? And did you note the ice growth in the arctic this winter ? How did that happen with all this CO2 ?

Quote:
Questioning is fine, but (as above) questions should eventually be resolved by appeal to the ultimate authority. The sort of "questioning" our AGW sceptics are doing is not really questioning at all, it's rejection of authority (the authority of nature, that is) in favor of wishful thinking. It's on the same level as "questioning" the shape of the Earth by maintaining the fixed opinion that it's flat.
I did another post on this, my position is that "Science" as a community or an movement or, er, whatever - doesn't understand everything. If you are happy to think they do then woohoo.

Quote:
Things change, you know. There was a time when there were no unions, then a time when they became nearly all-powerful. Who's to say that, if Britain were exclusively dependent on coal, that they would not regain their power. Same applies to gas, of course, or to the scheme of providing European electricity from solar plants in the Sahara. To put it crudely, you're giving someone a grip on your balls and expecting them not to squeeze.
Same for the US or anywhere else really.

Quote:
For the same reasons the US shouldn't be doing it.
Which are what ?