Thread: Newb with plans
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Commeatus
EcoModding Lurker

I'm not a racer, so it won't be that punchy. it looks like a base model integra transmission is better-- wider spacing but the ratios match up with ideal daily speeds at 3-4 k rpms, which is better. I'm learning more about "taller" gearing.
I'm also putting the project on hold until I have a donor car--my accord has the carb which actually makes it more cost-effective to just buy a second, fuel-injected model and build it up. I'll be practising hypermiling in the meantime

I'm wondering if it makes sense to put a torquey engine in a light car. it seems to my reasoning that an engine can have good economy one of two ways: big boom a few times (high torque, low rpm) or little boom many times. if an engine has a high specific output but isn't very powerful, you should be able to rev the nuts off of it and still return good economy. in fact, thinking now, isn't that how the metro runs? I feel like that's why a lot of the 80's imports had better economy than their meaty detroit counterparts. can anyone point to a thread or knowledgebase that goes into more detail?

also, mcrews, that is one slippery infiniti! color me impressed. the .30 to begin with surprises me, though. I guess it's the wind tunnel data showing through.