View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

This past weekend I took a little time to inspect the original front suspension components from the GT6 donor vehicle. Many of the components can be reconditioned and utilized. While there are performance upgrades for many of the components I don't see going custom on all of them as a big advantage.

Here is a list of some of the parts I will be upgrading on the front end:

#1. Shocks = The OEM shocks got the job done but they were not adjustable in anyway. The new shocks I will be going with are both ride and height adjustable. The shocks cost for the pair around $250.00 USD

#2. Springs = The new ones are stiffer and 1" lower than the OEM springs. The cost point is not that much difference between the two. The stiffer springs will help with the added weight in the front of the vehicle. They will also help with the aerodynamic profile of the vehicle being an inch lower. The cost of these are around $78.00 USD for the pair.

#3. Brakes = The OEM are heavy and non ventilated brakes with dual piston calipers. The new ones will be vented discs and 4 piston calipers. The discs are a little bigger than the original but lighter. The calipers are over half the weight of the original calipers. This brake kit also offers alloy caliper brackets that are also half the weight of the originals. The cost of this big brake kit is around $600.00 USD. Although I think the original brakes on the vehicle would be more than adequate for getting the job done I would still have to replace all of it and the price point is less than double. Not to mention the weight savings is pretty substantial. THe OEM calipers alone weigh in at 9.92lbs while the new 4 pistons will weigh 3.96lbs. I am a firm believer in quality brakes and think this upgrade is worth every penny.

#4. Hub and stub axle = Upgrading these components are essential if you are thinking about going with a larger wheel and tire. Since this is the plan for the Tigon this will be a welcomed upgrade. The new hub and stub axle are made out of Alloy so much lighter than the original and the bearings are uprated as well for increased life. The other part about this that I like is the fact you can specify a new pcd. This opens up the possibility for a much larger wheel selection than what is currently available on the GT6 cars. So with this upgrade you have decreased weight, added strength, and have a much larger selection of wheel options than you would otherwise have staying with the stock hubs. The cost of this upgrade is not cheap at $437.00 USD roughly but gives you quite a bit of advantages that makes it a worth while upgrade.

#5. Wheels = By going with the Alloy hub mentioned above this allows us to modify our PCD to a new modern wheel bolt pattern. The plan is to go with a 4 X 100 PCD which opens the door for many import wheels found on many common cars in North America. The OEM steel wheel that was on the GT6 was a 13 X 5.5 and weighed in at 18lbs. The new wheel selected for the Tigon is the Enkei RPF1 15 X 7 35mm inset at 9.85lbs. The cost of these wheels can be found for under $200.00 new. With this upgrade alone we are saving some major unsprung weight in the vehicle just under half in fact.

#6. Tires = If we compare the original tires on the factory GT6 to new modern tires of today it would be like comparing apples to oranges. Really not a fair comparison in the least. The plan thus far is to go with a Low rolling resistance tire most likely the Bridgestone Ecopias EP422. For the front wheels we will go with the 195/65/R15 at 19lbs and an overall diameter of 25" For the rear Goldwing rear wheel we will be going with Ecopia 195/55R16 at 19lbs and an 25" overall diameter as well. These tires can be had for under $120.00 USD.

#7. Alloy Steering rack mount = Manufacturer states "Rigid mountings mean that all steering inputs at the wheel are transferred directly to the steering rack - no effort is wasted compressing soft bushes. Fitting these mounts will result in sharper steering and provide better feedback through the steering wheel - they will also never wear out!" For the cost of $29.45 USD this is not a bad upgrade especially as it eliminates maintenance while improving performance.

There are a few other upgrades I am considering but will wait until I have the vehicle complete and tested out before I change things up. I think the upgrades I have listed above for the cost will be more than adequate to bring the vehicle up to a modern performance level while not breaking the bank. Now you can get an idea of the costs associated getting the Tigon to a rolling chassis level. At this point its fair to say to get Tigon rolling its around $3,200 USD estimate. This is a pretty fair estimate as I currently have $500.00 into the chassis and $200.00 into the rear swingarm. This leaves me around $400.00 to get the swingarm mounted to the GT6 chassis and for all the other small low cost parts.

This project is not a dirt cheap project by any means but should still be far less expensive than any hybrid sold currently around the world not to mention will have far superior fuel economy and range! My original budget goal for the completed project was under $14,000.00 USD. So we will see if we can get there! I think at this point I am giving myself a fighting chance despite all the added upgrades.

Well its time to get back to the grind,

GreenHornet

Last edited by GreenHornet; 03-11-2013 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: change typos