View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

I did some more digging on the Panhard and confirmed its light weight and cd. Here are the specs:

Weight = 560kg/1,234.59lbs
cd = 0.13
Height = 1.07m/42in
Length = 4.25m/167.28in
Width = 1.64m/64.56in

For comparison my rough specs on the Tigon:

Weight = 900lbs Diesel only and 1,250lbs hybrid
cd = 0.13
Height = 42in
Length = 172in
Width = 63in

My first sketch of the Tigon you can see I also have front and rear wheel well covers like the Panhard. The rough dimensions were also very similar and the Tigon also uses a 2 cylinder albeit diesel LOL! The diesel in the Tigon I am using could never compete with the Panhard 850cc 2 cylinder which could put out 60hp but if we used an electric motor in the right configuration with the diesel we just might be able to compete! I bet if you used a parallel configuration with the Smart .8L CDi you could do it! Which I almost did actually in the beginning. I could have bought the Smart CDi engine I still could in fact but at the end of the day this is not meant to be just a one off build. The Smart CDi can be chipped to produce 65hp but its a 3 cylinder so not as impressive as the Panhard 2 cylinder 850cc engines. For a diesel though the Smart .8L actually is not bad it would definitely have more low end torque than the Panhard!

I would need to figure out with a cd of 0.13 how much hp would be needed in the Tigon to maintain a 140mph cruise? from this I could then determine what size electric motor and battery bank size I would need along with all the rest.

That will have to wait for later because its time to scoot off.

Have a good day everyone,

GreenHornet