View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
turbothrush
EcoModding Apprentice

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Nate,
All the fiberglass suppliers have prices on their websites. I buy mostly from U.S. Composites and recommend them.

As far standing on the roof goes, I don't know I never tried it but should be possible if you put a camber in it during lay-up and maybe more layers of glass

Hours so far ... Not sure so I can't give you an answer. But it does not go fast and takes a lot of room in the garage. I took the project on to learn about lightweight construction and because what I wanted did not exist. Not even close as you have found (sub 1000 lb self-contained hardside truck camper ) Building a heavy camper would be a lot easier because the methods are more familiar to most people including me.

Varn,
Thanks for posting. I am familiar with peel-ply and its advantages you mention.

Just to clarify .. My original post was about improving the primary bond ,the glass to foam bond. It seems to me that the scoring gives extra insurance against delamination of the fiberglass skin from the foam itself as compared to sanding the foam without the scoring. It certainly made a difference in the materials I used for the test.
The only downside to this extra step (scoring) that I can see is what 3 wheeler has mentioned reguarding the extra epoxy used and its extra weight.

Last edited by turbothrush; 03-18-2013 at 12:16 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to turbothrush For This Useful Post:
a8ksh4 (03-31-2013)