View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
qx4dude
EcoModding Lurker

Hey Guys, I bought a 2002 Infiniti QX4 last year which also gets terrible fuel economy. Despite what people say, choosing to run premium fuel DOES make a big difference. In the winter, I was getting 12MPG with 87 octane but no less than 15MPG with 91.

Without realizing it, I was "hypermiling" to save fuel since I just learned the term a few days ago. Got about 23MPG on the last tank just with common sense stuff like coasting, preserving momentum everywhere possible, and turning the engine off at stop lights.

I just bought the "Torque Pro" app for my android phone, and along with a $20 OBD2 bluetooth adapter, it's a great alternative to a Scangauge device. No wires, and Torque is completely customizable. The app was $4.72 and is absolutely amazing. I'm going to try for 30MPG, but hopefully not have to resort to extreme measures to achieve it.

Using the Torque app to save fuel is a fun game but is distracting. There are easily one hundred different engine data points that can be monitored in real time but engine load & real time MPG are the ones I typically monitor. I need to find a good windshield mount for my phone to keep my eyes on the road.