View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

Hey Everyone,

I started exploring my steering options today and any possible worth while upgrades that I could possibly do with the Triumph GT6 and Spitfire stock systems.

I found some upgrades that I will definitely be purchasing that I thought I would share. All of these upgrades are direct replacement so no need for any extra fabrication work.

#1. Quick Rack Assembly $202.37 USD
#2. Alloy Solid rack mount kit $29.22 USD
#3. Solid Heavy Duty Steering Coupling $57.71 USD
#4. Steering wheel $233.00 USD

Now there has been another upgrade that I have been working on as well. This one would require some thought and custom fabrication work on my part. However this upgrade would be well worth the extra effort. I am talking about an Electronic Power Steering (EPS) Assisted System.

Why would I would consider this upgrade?

First of all the Triumph GT6 and Spitfires had manual steering and while they were pretty light cars steering at low speed and during parking situations could be tiresome and problematic. Most people these days are use to the power steering so going from that to a manual steering would be tough I think. So in my mind if I am taking the time to upgrade the suspension and braking to a modern level I most definitely should do that with the steering as well. luckily for me there is a very cost effective solution to this upgrade and that is the Vauxhall Corsa C. This is a pretty popular and common car over seas and as such has readily available EPS systems for purchase over the internet all day long for under $100.00 USD. You would also need a controller for the unit which can also be picked up over the internet for a low cost.

From my preliminary research I have found this to be a very popular addition to several different Triumph cars including the Spitfires. Many conversions have all ready been performed so there is quit a bit of info available on how to go about doing it so this is good. Every thing that I have read thus far points in the direction that this can and would most definitely work trouble free. So I will be purchasing these parts and starting the customization soon.

Another benefit to this is the ability to upgrade the steering column to an adjustable unit which was not offered on the GT6 cars.

Adding the EPS with the Quick rack Assembly will give the GT6 a modern performance and feel while enhancing the driving experience. Another positive point that can and should not be over looked is it will improve the safety factor by a few degrees as well. So at the end of the day we get a very affordable, modern, light, and safe steering system for the Tigon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT6 Quick Rack Assembly.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	12685   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT6 solid Alloy rack mount kit.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	12686   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT6 Heavy Duty Solid Steering Coupling.jpg
Views:	31